Li-Lan Hsiang Weiss offers limited maya abdominal massage sessions based on the original Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy which were founded on the ancient techniques of abdominal massage as taught to Dr. Rosita Arvigo by Don Elijio Panti, a traditional healer from Belize and Ms. Hortense Robinson, a traditional midwife. This type of bodywork involves external non-invasive manipulation that gently repositions internal organs that have shifted, thereby restricting the flow of blood, lymph, nerve and energy.
Receiving this session and learning an individualized self care abdominal massage helps the reproductive organs by relaxing tight ligaments and toning weak ones, facilitates the movement of arterial and venous blood, moves congested lymph fluid and nodes and opens up energy channels that are stagnant, so that nutrients, disease fighting agents, hormones, proper nerve signals, and Qi flow efficiently through the whole body. Each individual then has more capacity for balance and healing.
Causes of uterine and pelvic organ displacement:
1) Repeated pregnancies close together with difficult deliveries
2) Inadequate professional care during pregnancy, delivery, postpartum
3) Carrying heavy burdens just before or during menstruation and too soon after childbirth
4) Walking barefoot on cold floors or wet grass, sitting on cold wet surface
5) Wearing high heel shoes
6) Running on cement surfaces
7) Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall, severe blow, or car accident
8) Chronic constipation, straining during bowel movements
9) Poor alignment of pelvic bones with the spinal column
10 Carrying children on the hip for prolonged periods of time
11) Modern life: too much sitting, feeling of constant overwhelm
12) Emotional armoring from rape, sexual abuse, or incest
13) Aging and the pull of gravity on the ligaments
14) Career in high impact dancing, aerobics, or sports
15) Chronic cough
16) Surgical procedures
17) Motor vehicle accidents
Displacement symptoms for Women include:
• Displaced or prolapsed uterus and or bladder
• Painful menstrual cycles and ovulation
• Irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation
• Bladder or yeast infections
• Miscarriages, difficult pregnancies
• Peri menopause, menopausal symptoms
• PMS/Depression with menstruation
• Ovarian cysts
• Uterine fibroids
• Abnormal uterine bleeding
• Enhances Pregnancy, aids in labor and birthing
• Pelvic congestion, pain
Symptoms in Men that are helped with these techniques include:
• Early stages of prostate swelling
• Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) • Prostatitis (mild)
• Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction (depending on cause)
• Digestive Disorders
• Low energy
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
• Gastro Esophageal Reflux (GERD)
• Crohn’s Disease
• Chronic constipation
• Low Back ache
• Chronic indigestion or heartburn
• Restricted breathing due to tension Abdominal scarring that is affecting reproductive and digestive organs.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A SESSION:
• Comprehensive review of your past and present healthcare needs focusing on reproductive and digestive health (may be done online before the in-person session)
• Upper and lower abdominal massage to help: Align reproductive and abdominal organs to optimal position, improve circulation to organs, promote vital flow to support the body’s inherent healing capacity
• Evaluation of and application of bodywork to improve alignment of spine
• Instruction in abdominal self-care massage to enhance your professional session.
• Recommendations of complimentary modalities to support your health and wellness that may include:
o Faja – a simple lower abdomen support wrap o Bajos – herbal pelvic steams
o Castor oil packs
o Nutritional, herbal support, and lifestyle education
Li-Lan will work with you to address your specific needs as well as communicate her limitations so that you can find additional support for your healthcare team. Typically, 2-3 professional sessions (at a minimum) are required to address most conditions; monthly sessions provide feedback and continuity to your care. Clients who perform their self-care massage on a routine basis report an improvement in their symptoms.
Incorporating the abdominal bodywork session, the abdominal self care massage, and energy-based modalities (ie acupuncture, acupressure, Reiki) into a fertility program is an integral way of connecting with the creative energy in the reproductive organs and benefiting the hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian axis. The additional self care tools that are recommended further prepare the uterus for conception and help ensure a healthy pregnancy and postpartum experience. Armonia Health LLC and Li-Lan Hsiang Weiss offer additional workshops and energy healings that deepen in the experience of the creative energy of the womb/the matrix. Li-Lan will present any information received during the in-person session to further tailor the sequence of recommended explorations for your fertility journey.
Pregnancy support with the Arvigo® Techniques
The Arvigo® techniques support the physical changes experienced during pregnancy. With this bodywork technique, the uterus stays well positioned, receives optimal blood supply, and the uterine ligaments and tissue grow strong and resilient, digestion and respiration improve. Shorter and easier labors and more efficient contractions are reported by clients of Arvigo® practitioners and midwifery-based practices that incorporate this bodywork and its recommendations.
It is advisable to begin working with your Arvigo® practitioner as soon as possible, starting at 20 weeks. Monthly Arvigo® sessions are recommended until 36 weeks, at which weekly or biweekly sessions are scheduled. Armonia Health LLC’s Arvigo® practitioner with advanced training in pre and peri-natal support is Li-Lan Hsiang Weiss, she’d be happy to speak to you about our integrative pregnancy support program.
Cautions and Considerations:
- If you have an IUD (intrauterine device for birth control), Li-Lan prefers not to use abdominal massage as part of your session. A pessary that supports a bladder or uterine prolapse will need to be removed prior to abdominal massage.
- If you are on your menses during your appointment, your abdominal self care massage for the lower abdomen will be modified.
- The best time during the menstrual cycle to schedule your initial session would be between the end of the menstrual flow and 5 days prior to menstruation. Do not feel limited to scheduling your appointments based on this window, as much information can be provided to you outside of receiving the bodywork and sometimes it may be best to have a session during your menstrual cycle.
- Abdominal massage is not performed prior to 8 weeks post-surgery or post-partum, prior consent from your medical practitioner is necessary.
- Abdominal massage is not recommended during cancer treatment or in the presence of active cancer growth.
- If you are pregnant, acupuncture and energy work may be beneficial, but the abdominal self care massage is showed after 20 weeks of pregnancy
- Acupuncture/energy-based modalities may be incorporated into your abdominal session upon request or need.